Well, it turns out they're a popular a fall combination they were. Here are a few of the recipes I found:
- Perfect Entertaining's Persimmon Apple Cobbler (Refined-Sugar Free even!)
- Sunset's Autumn Fruit in a Tart by Christine Weber Hale
- Davis Farmers Market's Persimmon Apple Crumble by David Cannata of Yolo Catering
In the store I'd picked up Fuyu persimmons, Honey Crisp apples, and dried apricots. And I wanted to use all three ingredients. After searching through cookbooks and online recipe sites I didn't find a recipe that included all three. Also I only ever use from scratch pie crust (in my mind there was going to be a double crust using my mom's perfect pie crust recipe) but I didn't have time to make the crust. So another change of plans was in order. Tonight we'll be having (or attempting) a bread pudding.
Apple Apricot Persimmon Pudding
Loosely adapted from Mandy Sinclair's Date and Apple Pudding and Perfect Entertaining's Persimmon Apple Cobbler recipe.
- 1 cup (160g) apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75g) Maple Syrup Crystals
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple, peeled, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 Fuyu Persimmon, peeled, quartered, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (140g) Honey Crisp Apple and Fuyu Persimmon puree
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
NOTE: We didn't have self-raising flour so we made our own from Mamta's Kitchen recipe: 1 cup Flour + 1 tsp Baking Powder + 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Iodized salt
- Place Apricots, Maple Syrup Crystals, Vanilla, and Water in a small saucepan.
- Stir on medium heat until mixture boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking powder. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
- Grease and line an 8 inch square cake pan.
- Arrange half of sliced apples and persimmons in bottom of pan.
- Combine apple and persimmon puree, cinnamon, allspice, and eggs with cooled date mixture.
- Stir in flour.
- Pour into pan, taking care not to disturb apples.
- Smooth top with a spatula and arrange remaining sliced apples and persimmons on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate, baked apples and persimmons side up.
With the extra apples and persimmons, I decided to whip up some Apple and Persimmon Ice Cream for topping the slices of pie.
Apple and Persimmon Ice Cream
- 2 cups Persimmon and Apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Cointreau
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup Crystals
- 13.5 oz Coconut Milk
- In blender, puree persimmon and apple.
- Blend puree with Cointreau, Vanilla, Allspice, Maple Syrup Crystals, and coconut milk.
- Remove frozen freezer bowl from the freezer. Place freezer bowl on the center of the base.
- Place mixing arm in freezer bowl.
- Place lid on base.
- Turn the ice cream maker on.
- Pour blended mixture into the freezer bowl.
- Mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container.
- Place in freezer for 6 to 8 hours. Remove 15 minutes before serving.