This French Toast recipe is a twist on my mom's recipe. Because I'm allergic to cow's milk, my mom started with day old sourdough (dairy-free and sugar-free) and dipped only in egg. She sifted powdered sugar and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on the top of each piece. When I discovered soy milk I modified the basic recipe.
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Wildwood Soymilk
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice, freshly squeezed, not from concentrate
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 4 to 6 3/4" to 1"-thick slices of Semifreddi's Cinnamon Twist bread
- 4 Tablespoons, Earth Balance, divided
- In a large rectangular casserole, whisk Eggs, Soymilk, Orange Juice, Vanilla, and Nutmeg.
- Add slices of bread and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Flip over the slices and bread and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance and coat surface of skillet.
- Fry bread until light brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and fry the other side. When second side is light brown, remove and put in oven to keep warm.
- Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance over medium heat and coat surface of skillet. Fry remaining slices of bread.
- To serve, top with melted Earth Balance and warmed maple syrup.
If you're curious, yes we really did enjoy this for breakfast yesterday. It wasn't all glamourous though. I spilled some of the coffee as I was trying to avoid SpriteKat.