This past weekend at MooflyFoof and EdRabbit's wedding we had a Dairy-Free Chicken Piccata. And if you remember, cubes and I had Dairy-Free Roasted Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce. For our first homecooked meal since we said "I Do" it seemed only appropriate to try our hand at a dairy-free chicken with lemon caper sauce (aka Chicken Piccata).
Our first attempt at the Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce was a little too lemony and a tad too thick. We also discovered that the halved chicken breasts from Bi-Rite Market were approximately 8 ounces each rather than the 5 to 6 called for in the recipe. Thankfully we had a meat thermometer so that we were able to accurately gauge when the chicken was safe to eat.
Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce
This recipe was adapted from Sparow64's, Taste of Home's, and Fitness Magazine's Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce recipes, as well as TLC's Chicken Scallopini with Lemon-Caper Sauce recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Pinch of Salt (1/4 tsp) and Pepper (1/16 tsp)
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 (5 to 6 ounces each) Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast halves
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp Del Papa, Cold Pressed EVOO
- 1/4 cup Benziger Signaterra Savignon Blanc, Casey's Block 2009, or Dry White Wine
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 3/8 cup Fresh Lemon Juice (1 1/2 medium size lemons)
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp Agostino Recca Capers in Salt, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to warm or 200 degrees.
- In 1-gallon ziplock bag, add salt, pepper, and flour. Shake until well mixed.
- Place chicken breasts, one at a time, between sheets of wax paper. Pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Add chicken to salt, pepper, and flour mixture, and shake bag until chicken is well coated.
- In a saute pan (we used our 12" Everyday Pan as we don't own any saute pans) heat EVOO over medium-high heat.
NOTE: Do not use a nonstick pan.
- Cook garlic over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
NOTE: Do not let the garlic brown.
- Shake excess flour from chicken and with tongs place chicken into pan.
- Brown chicken in hot EVOO until both sides are golden-brown, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees.
- When chicken is done, inside is white and firm, remove from pan to baker. Cover with foil and place in oven to keep warm.
- Juice two small or one and a half medium-sized lemons, approximately 3/8 cup lemon juice.
- Whisk the cornstarch and the lemon juice until smooth. Set aside.
- Pour white wine into the pan and allow to boil.
- Stir continuously until the drippings from the chicken are incorporated.
- Add the Earth Balance and stir until melted.
- Add the cornstarch and lemon juice mixture to the white wine sauce.
- Allow to return to a boil.
- Cook and stirl for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in capers and parsley.
- Return the chicken to the pan, turning to coat.
- To serve, plate the chicken, pour lemon-caper sauce over each breast, and garnish with lemon slice.
Post a Comment